- Job title
- Postcode of work
- Closing date
- 29 Oct 2020
- Experience required
- Working days
- 5 day week
- Additional days
- Date posted
- 21 Oct 2020
We are looking to build our roster of Director/Editors, who are able to craft compelling, beautiful and impactful films, to work with on future campaigns.
Catsnake is a story agency for the third sector – we use a combination of storytelling, in depth research, behavioural psychology and rigorous creative systems to produce campaigns, films and strategies for charities and causes, like Unicef, WWF, RSPB, Scope, Amnesty, the National Trust and ARUK.
Our focus is on telling stories that change beliefs and behaviour. We believe deeply in the power of narratives to engage, entertain, and lead to positive change for our communities, our environment and our collective future.
We are fuelled by integrity, imagination and lots of cups of tea.
We are always keen to connect with new (and new to us) talent and build our roster of skilled, imaginative and hard-working creatives. Right now, we are looking to expand our roster of Director/Editors with experience in either narrative film (particularly short films), content creation or advertising.
We work on a wide range of campaigns and the films we create for each are bespoke and as varied as the campaign itself, ranging from traditional narrative shorts to constructed TED talks, from found footage montages to stop motion animations.
We are looking for Directors who are equally as happy heading up more traditional narrative productions, as operating as a mini production on their own – creating projects on a smaller scale. We’re looking for people who can demonstrate an ability to bring innovative storytelling devices to projects, and framing ideas in visually interesting ways.
We work as a close team at Catsnake, so it is vital you are a team player, willing to respond to other Creatives’ ideas and work collaboratively, whilst remaining self-motivated and believing in your own vision.
Once on the roster, we’ll reach out on a project by project basis to Director/Editors to register an interest, so you’ll always be able to select projects that suit your skillset and interests the most.
· A passion for visual storytelling, and a deep understanding of the impact that narrative and film can have on beliefs, behaviour and action.
· An interest in audiences and audience psychology. Understanding that the slightest change in the way a story is presented can affect the impact it has and how best to manipulate that to engage our target audiences.
· Being detail orientated, a lot of the work we create requires the ability to make multiple versions of films in varying lengths, formats and with minor differences in the content. We are looking for creatives who are able to revel in the minutiae.
· Experience directing and editing films and content for clients, or for yourself, that has aimed to affect some kind of change within your audience.
· Creative thinking – being able to respond to briefs in innovative and surprising ways, to think outside the box and come up with creative interpretations to briefs and stimuli.
· Experienced with industry standard editing software, we use Adobe Premiere and After Effects in our edit suite.
· Curiosity and an interest in new ideas, trends and technologies. We want to be endlessly learning, improving, challenging ourselves and our beliefs, and expanding our perspectives, and we need all our creatives to be doing the same.
Nice to have
· Colour grading – being able to do a basic grade would be useful but not essential.
· Sound mixing – again being able to do some basic sound design and mixing would be a nice skill to bring, but not essential.
It’s also important to note that, although relevant, training and traditional qualifications will never be a deal breaker for us. We are looking for highly creative and intelligent people who are skilled at understanding stories through the lens of human motivation, and crafting beautiful, smart films which have real impact. Your background and how you reached this point do not have to be limited to (or even come through) traditional training institutions or agency-based content creation, if you can demonstrate your abilities in other ways.
We are committed to creating films that are creative, innovative and diverse in both representation and thought, both in front of and behind the camera. We are, therefore, very keen to hear from people from under-represented groups to ensure the content we create is representative of the experiences and perspectives of the population.
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Director/Editor – [Your name]” and include a CV and a brief cover letter (no more than 500 words, tell us a little about yourself and why you’re interested in working with us). Please include links to previous work, websites or portfolios. Please make it clear in your application which examples of your work you edited and whether you carried out any of the other post-production work on them. Finally, please also state your typical day rate(s).
We will then arrange informal online interviews to talk about our working methods and how you like to work, and discuss the types of work we make etc.
The deadline is 29th October 2020. No applications will be accepted after this date.